Thursday, June 27, 2013

Sydney in June Day 1

I admit it now, I have been slack. Here it is, Thursday and I am only just posting about last weekend. To be fair, I got home on Sunday night, crashed into bed, then was up at 6am for work. To top it off, I have been horribly sick this week. But onto that later.

I started out my trip to Sydney bright and early on Friday morning. In fact, I was up before the sun - which is never a good thing. But, I headed out to Brisbane domestic airport at any rate, ready to catch my QANTAS flight. I had picked up some cheap flights back in January for my trip, only costing me $160 return - which is a fantastic deal. It meant that I arrived in Sydney at 9am where I met up with the wonderful Wendy - my host for the weekend. She took me back to her inner-city bachelorette pad to settle in before I headed out for some touristy explorations.
First up was the Paddington Reservoir. It is a historical water reservoir from the 1880s that has now been converted into public gardens. On display are some local works of art. It's a wonderful use of the space and a great transformation. Unfortunately, some areas are blocked off due to graffiti, but the gardens are still wonderful. In fact they would be a perfect picnic spot. Wendy and I discussed how great a spot it would be to open up all the areas for a steampunk ball, I could really see it. All in all though, it's a great preservation of something so wonderfully historical. So, if you are in the Paddington area, on Oxford Street, it is worth a stop by for a look-see.
 Afterwards, I went for a wander up Oxford street. In particular, I was looking for a few shops in particular to do a spot of vintage shopping. But by then, it was well after 12 and my stomach was calling for food. I stopped at the Three Saints Cafe where there was a great selection of food on offer. I chose to sit down to a bowl of butter chicken and rice - and I am glad I did, dinner didn't happen until 9pm.
 
Further down Oxford Street, and around the corner, I came to the vintage store "Grandma Takes A Trip". The store had a great range of stuff, and I was very very tempted by a number of items, but alas, I walked out with nothing - the prices were quite beyond what I was willing to pay. I did however, grab a few shots of the shop for your viewing pleasure.
Later that night, I tripped out to Supanova at the Olympic Park to grab my weekend wrist pass. Of course, I dressed up for the occasion - wearing my K-ON uniform as Tsumugi. I snapped a few shots of my Sydney pals dressed up as well. I had intended to pick up a few tickets for autographs that night, but the line was incredible and would have taken about 4 hours to get from the end to the start. Worst of all it just kept growing.
Afterwards, we made our way back to the city, stopping by Circular Quay Train Station so that I could get the night view of the Opera House and Harbor Bridge. I've seen them both before on a previous trip to Sydney as a child, but it was still nice to do the tourist thing and get a couple shots on my baby camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment