Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Annual Trip

or, what is becoming the annual trip for me. The last weekend in August marks it time for my trip down to Adelaide for the Australian Costumers Guild Ball. This year, my mum decided to come down with me so that we would both be able to visit our relatives who live down there.

We were up bright and early on Friday morning for our flight from Brissie to Adelaide. We had a fantastic trip down, flying with clear skies, and managed to arrive about 20 minutes early. After picking up our luggage, we were picked up by our car rental company. They aren't located at the airport, however are happy to come out and pick you up to take you their depo (only a 10 minute drive towards town). And you really couldn't ask for better prices.

If you are planning to rent a car to get around in Adelaide, I highly recommend Ace. Great price, very friendly and helpful staff and you really couldn't ask for more. Their website (the best way to book, is direct with them):  http://www.acerentalcars.com.au. We had a little Toyota which we were surprised fit both of our full suitcases and our carry-on bags.

We picked up some lunch before heading to the hospital where my Great Aunt was currently staying. A misshap earlier in the week had meant a trip to the hospital. So while it was lovely to see her again, it wasn't great that she was in hospital. Afterwards we checked in at our hotel, where a few of the other interstate travellers would also be staying. This year, we were unable to book the place that we would normally stay, so we had to find a nearby replacement. The main goal is to find somewhere that is within walking distance of the ball venue itself so that we don't have to struggle to drive in our costumes. This year, it was the Regal Park Motor Inn. Plenty of off-street parking for our hire cars, clean room, restaurant downstairs (great for breakfast) and an affordable price. It was a little dated (1970s), however it certainly served it's purpose for a couple of nights.

We walked over to O'Connell Terrace for dinner at the Regent Thai on Saturday night. They have a fantastic range of options and I can attest to a very delicious fried rice. They apparently have one of the best ratings for restaurants in North Adelaide for Thai food.

On Saturday, I was up and heading down for breakfast before a trip to the airport to pick up our final Brisbane traveller. From there we made our way around a couple of fabric shops. I won't go into details on them, but if you are interested, I did write about them on my trip last year. I tried to restrain myself this year and only brought home one piece of fabric and a few pieces of lace. From there mum and I split off with the group to meet up with my mum's cousins for lunch. It has been a very long time since they have seen each other, so it was quite the catch up.

It was after this that I had to head down to the ball venue to start preparations for the evening. This year I entered workmanship and the parade competitions with my Steampunk black widow. If you want to read more about my costume, head on over to my other blog. It was quite the successful night for me, bringing home the award for Master Workmanship, Master Parade and People's Choice.

I was again up bright and early on Sunday morning to start packing my suitcase before dropping one of our travellers to the airport for her flight home to Brisbane. After some breakfast back at the hotel, mum and I were on our own for the day. We decided that we would be heading to the Adelaide Hills for some touristing for the day.

 Our first stop was the Beerenberg Farm just outside of Hahndorf. If you go there in spring and summer, you are likely to enjoy the benefits of pick-you-own. They are in face quite well known for their Strawberry Farm. The farm was originally settled back 1839 and has been farming the land ever since. Now, they bring a wide range of condiments created from the own farm grown produce. I went a little nuts in store and picked up a number of different sauces and spreads. I really enjoyed the taste-testing on offer which really helped me choose which ones I wanted to buy. I loaded up my carry-on suitcase to come home but really wish that I had more room to bring more with me. But I will definitely be going back to their website when I run out - they are incredibly delicious and affordable.

 Afterwards we headed back into Hahndorf proper. It's a town that was settled back in the 1830s and it has managed to keep it's German heritage. There are a plethora of cafe's, pubs and restaurants to choose from down the street as well as some lovely little shops. And should the mood strike you, there is also wine tasting nearby. I was driving, so no wine tasting for me.

We first wandered into the German Cake Shop for morning tea. There were so many delicious looking German bakery items to choose from. I decided to try a doughnut pretzel which turned out to be so over sweet and sugary that I could only eat a couple bites. The shop was quite unique inside. Clocks lined the walls and antiques were stacked on every sideboard. And the ceiling was stocked with plates and framed prints. It was a very interesting store.

And for lunch. While we were there, I decided that if I was going to have lunch in a German village, I wanted to have some delicious German food. Mum and I found a nice looking little restaurant that served up schnitzel, so we pulled up a seat for some food. Can I just say - delicious.


 I have to say that if I ever find myself on holiday for some time in Adelaide again I will definitely plan to stay in Hahndorf for some time. It would be well worth it to try out the different restaurants and pubs around the place. It would be a delicious trip.

Afterwards, we headed back for a final visit into the hospital before dropping our car back and heading to the airport for our flight home. Dinner was the last thing on my mind after stuffing myself full of delicious german food. But it is good to be home in my bed again. And I can still enjoy all my condiment purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment