Monday, June 30, 2014

Onto Mackay

The final leg of my driving trip was the last little bit from Rockhampton to Mackay. After a terrible night of sleep, sharing a room with a snoring mother and then dealing with a rumbly tummy (I suspect there was corn in something I ate unwittingly at Sizzler the night before), we packed up our PJs and got in the car. It was quite a brisk morning, but we quickly hopped over to filling up with petrol and breakfast at the local Coffee Club. And then it was back on the road.

It's quite a journey, wobbling through road works and getting stuck behind military convoys travelling at 80k in the 110k zone *groan*. But we arrived in Bucasia at 12 to stay with my Uncle and Pop. It's been nine years since I was last in Mackay (for my Pop's 80th Birthday) and things have certainly changed.

It's very bizarre to see the changes. I was born in Mackay and came up every just about every year to visit family after we moved away in 1992 until around 2002 when I finished school and travel was not so easy. I had come to know the area a bit but had never actually driven in Mackay, so it was quite the change. It was lovely to see through, as you come into the area the flowering sugar cane, blowing purple silver in the breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment