Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Shopping in Mackay

Our first full day in Mackay was quite a quiet one. After a good nights sleep we got up and headed out to the town shopping centre - Caneland. It was around when I was a little girl, before we moved away from Mackay. But it is vastly different now. The lower level has trippled in size and there is now a second level as well as a full five story car park attached. They have quite the range of shops inside so mum and I picked up a couple of things. There weren't a lot of shoppers around so it was a nice change from the packed Chermside that we would normally go to. 

I snapped a couple of shots from the upper levels of the view at the main entrance. You can certainly see the river but the centre should hopefully be above most of the flood levels. 


 Afterwards we took a bit of round-a-bout route back across the river towards Bucasia. We followed through town a bit having a look at the changes around town in the last nine or more years. The thing that I love and strikes me the most is that many of the building still exist. You can really see it in the Art Deco facades on the buildings. The original companies may no longer be inside, but the buildings still have their beauty.

I didn't get as many shots as I would have liked, but I was driving, so you take what you can get. :P

We managed to convince my uncle that we needed to stop at the local fabric store on the way home - Needleworx. I love their tag-line "The hardware store for ladies". They had a good range of quilting cottons, though they were quite a bit more expensive than I am used to paying for them. I only picked up a couple of things but they did have a nice range of haberdashery items and my mum managed to get some beautiful lace that I am going to use on her ballgown later this year. It was good to see what they had though, and let's face it, I am a real sucker for a fabric store.

No comments:

Post a Comment