Friday, November 26, 2010

Tokyo Trip Day 3: Harajuku

Now this was my day in Lolita heaven...

It started off with a little drama. We headed back to Akihabara for L to purchase a new camera. While standing at the train station with a Canadian tourist who had lost his way and was trying to make sense of his map; another tourist passing by suddenly collapsed and proceeded to have a seizure. In Australia, people would immediately stop to see what is happening, lend assistance and call the ambulance. However, in Japan, most people just take a quick look as they walk by and continue on their way. L and the Canadian helped the victim by pushing him into the recovery position while trying to communicate with the nearby Japanese staff to call the Ambulance. Thankfully another tourist who spoke Japanese and decent English sopped by and was able to assist. All seemed to work out when the Ambulance came, but it just goes to show you how helpful most Aussies are when it come to a crisis.

Finally back on our way after a short stop in the Yodabashi toy section, where we lamented the lack of coolness in Australian toy shops, we made our way to Harajuku. The land of Lolita. Harajuku is home to cosplayers and fashionistas for just about every walk of Japanese fashion. Including those who like to dress their tiny dogs in tiny clothing all for a little fame and attention. And my, do they milk it too.
My excitement escalating, we headed towards Kiddy Land. We are talking about 6 floors entirely filled with toys and cuteness. Each floor is divided up into sections. For example, there was a Lego floor, a Hello Kitty floor and a Snoopy floor. I got the most awesome writing paper in the different sections, and saw some of the cutest and most bizarre toys around.
But then it was onto the wonderland of Lolita shops in La Foret; Baby The Stars Shine Bright, Angelic Pretty, Metamorphose, Putumayo. I can tell you now that I lightened my wallet and stocked out my Lolita wardrobe. The best part though, is that most of the stores I shopped at had a sale rack, which I of course used to my complete benefit, and took some of their excess stock off their hands.

It's really strange some of the comparisons that you start to make while shopping in Japan. I simply adore the etiquette that is ingrained in their society. From simple things like lining up for the train, and waiting for those already on board to de-board before getting on right through to the shopping. I really hate in Australia that people will line up for a train at the station, and then will not get out of the way for others to get on their train even though they themselves are not catching it - just blocking the way. The only difference I noticed with Lolita shops was in Angelic Pretty. Now, I do not speak much Japanese at all. I can say "excuse me", "I'd like this" and "thank-you" but you can get a long way with just gestures. The ladies in Metamorphose and Baby were lovely, but in Angelic Pretty, I found them rather rude and a little stand-offish. To be fair, when I went back later in the week, there was an older woman there who served me and she made the experience lovely. Putumayo and MAM had the best customer service by far. And event though we could not understand each other, it made my shopping experience so much better. If only customer service in Australia was at such a high standard. But maybe I just shop in the wrong sort of shops here.
My bag and arms full, I made my way around to Closet Child. This is where you can pick up second-hand Lolita dresses. They are all in fantastic condition and at a really great price. Not to mention that there is quite a range available and you are able to try some item on. I found it fantastic that I was able to pick up some items that I had been longing to have for quite some time. (And now they will be listed onto my poupee account and get me heaps of ribbons so I can dress up - pathetic addiction, I know)
My poor feet aching, my arms lagged with goodies, we made our way back to the train station, only to be side tracked by the fabulous MAM Maximam store, tucked away in a small alley. Exhausted, but happy I made my way slowly back to the hostel where I went to sleep with a filling suitcase and a happy smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment