Thursday, January 24, 2013

Day 0 - Gold Coast to Osaka to Kyoto


Well, I am here - Japan. It was a nine hour flight from the Gold Coast that flew directly to Osaka. We were up bright and early this morning, for the car trip to the airport. The flight was light on with passengers, so we managed to snag an upgrade so that we were sitting at the bulk head for the flight. Which means heaps more leg room. The flight itself was pretty uneventful, as usual, but we finally arrived. Then came the task of getting to our actual hotel. Three trains, quite a bit of looking blankly at maps and asking random strangers for help and we were there. But to celebrate - my first photo - on the train.
 It was about 10pm Japan time by the time we checked in, and we made the decision to pop next door to the family mart for dinner. Our hotel is situated on a street with plenty of food to choose from, so other nights won't be a problem at all, but tonight, we were just that bit late. The beauty though is that that range of food available is so vast and soooo cheap. My collection of food below only set me back just over $10. Not to mention, that pre-packaged food in Japan is nothing like pre-packaged food in Australia. For one, it is actually edible but it is quite tasty. Yes that is a burger in a packet on the right and it was really good. Better than some takeaway burgers that I have eaten over my lifetime. And I was pleasantly surprised by the jasmine tea in a bottle. It was very refreshing and something that I will defintely be getting again. It cost only 125 Yen.
We were also nicely surprised by our hotel. I knew that it was a great price and came with a lot, but free shampoo, and body wash as well as toothbrushes and breakfast. The beds are rock hard in the one we are staying in (Karasuma) but it is clean and tidy and really, it's a place to store my shopping and crash after a long day out. Not much more to say, but it is great so far. I leave you with a photo of the view from our bedroom. We are on floor 11. 
 

1 comment: