Saturday, January 26, 2013

Day 3 - Hikone Castle

Today we were up and about bright and early. It was rather brisk out-of-doors, so we started the day with a quick trip to Starbucks for a hot cocoa before our long trip out to Hikone Castle.
We rolled off our 1hour and 15 minute train trip to the freezing cold wind coming straight from the snow-capped mountains in the distance. But we were determined to do the trip. What I didn't realise is that Hikone castle involved a great many steps - big and steep ones. It was a beautiful castle and I am so glad that I was able to see it and even happier that we were able to go inside. It was interesting climbing the steps / ladders to get to each floor, but the view was worth it and the castle itself is just incredible.

 
Afterwards we headed into the Hikone Castle museum to view the exhibition pieces from the ruling family. There is even a section which is the completely recreated living space - which was very beautiful. I didn't get very many good photos in the gallery as I wasn't able to use my flash, but here are a couple of the pieces that I really adored.
After our day out in the cold we decided to head on back to our hotel. We stopped at a couple of shops along the way where I picked up some writing paper and some food. But just as we were reaching our hotel, it started to snow on us. Not a lot, but there were definite flakes. It makes me feel more justified in my coldness now that I know it was just gearing up to snow. We're now huddled in our hotel room (after I finally got the heating working - 'cause of course, I can't read Kanji) and hoping that come the morning, there will be more snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment