Saturday, February 2, 2013

Day 9 - Nippori & Shinjuku

After the exhaustion of Disneyland yesterday, it would have been such a good idea to take it easy today. But no, I didn't have it planned that way and so today we were up and about and off to Nippori, or rather, Fabric Town. Essentially, it is a street running from the JR Train Station in Nippori that has an abundance of fabric and trimmings stores.
I bought so many beautiful thing today, so I decided to take one photo of the lot to show my fellow fabric fiends out there what I picked up today. My favourite pieces are the Strawberry Shortcake and Hello Kitty stuff.
After shopping our hearts out for fabric (yes, we will be posting that mountain of stuff home!), we made the trip into Shinjuku. Where we took in one more fabric and trimmings store. It was the one that I visited last time I was in Japan and found some very beautiful fabric in. We didn't stay in there too long though, as the shop was rather over-heated and it wasn't very cold outside.

Afterwards, we took in the sights that are Shinjuku. And I bought a new carry-on suitcase for the trip home - a Hello Kitty one.
By then, starvation had set in and we headed over to the Alice cafe for dinner. If you have never seen one of these, I highly recommend it. They are themed restaurants throughout Japan, and believe me when I say that there would be a theme to cater to just about every taste. There are certainly some very weird ones out there. But the one we chose, was Alice in Wonderland.

You enter by catching the lift down to the basement. It opens to a richly decorated foyer. Your waitress, dressed as Alice then pushes open one wall that looks like a book and you walk into the restaurant proper. The ambiance is incredible, and I have tried to capture what I could in the photos below. What you will notice though, is that all of our food is themed.
Today's photos are courtesy of Tracey's borrowed camera. Unfortunately I drained the battery on both of my cameras. One is refusing to charge and the other I forgot the charger for. But fear no more, I bought a new charger for my big camera today, so it is back to photo land for me!

2 comments:

  1. {swoons} oooh Nippori, ooooh hello kitty suitcase (of any size) and the restaurant. It's so great to see you both having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Nippori is pretty amazing. We tripped to the post office this morning to send our fabric home - it may even beat us there.

      And we are having a great time. :) But there are only 3 more days left before we begin the journey home. @__@

      Delete