Monday, October 23, 2017

DAY 1 - Kaiyukan

Our first offical day in Osaka dawned and the skies were filled with clouds and precipitation. Yep, it was set to be a rainy day. Thankfully we had the day planned with a trip to the Osaka Aquarium - Kaiyukan. We hopped a couple of trains to get there, and then stood in line huddled under our 108 Yen umbrellas from the Lawsons down the street from our hotel.

I’ve been to the Aquarium before, but this was Abi’s first trip and we’re both pleased to say that we loved it. I know that it has actually been four and a half years since I was last there so I really shouldn’t have been surprised that it had changed so much, but I’ll admit that I was. It’s got to be the best aquarium that I have ever been to, with a tank large enough to house not one but two whale sharks. Though I will indeed admit that my favourite part was seeing the river otters who were being fed when we arrived at their display.

But to get it across, I will share the pictures rather than try to describe it all. 



Afterwards, starved, we headed over to the Tempozan Marketplace to eat and wander the stores. We settled in for okinamiyaki (Japanese pancakes) for lunch followed by Halloween themed Baskin and Robbins icecream. How could you resist something so cute?


Next on the agenda was to head on into Osaka station and check out a number of the large department stores. In particular Yodobashi Camera and Loft where we both added to our stationery supplies. After a little more wandering around the area we decided it was time to head home. Originally on the Japlan was a trip to the Alice Cafe for dinner but the rain was blowing and pouring down so hard we didn’t fancy the three block walk to the venue. Instead we hopped onto a train back to our Osaka hotel to call it quits for the evening.

2 comments:

  1. River otters!!!!! Too adorable!!!! So are those ice creams!!! Did you buy anything st Q-pot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't. I was so tempted by a few things but they were just so expensive that I couldn't justify it. I did love the stuff that they had in their halloween range though. I'm hoping I can get some second hand Q-Pot at Closet Child when we get to Harajuku.

      Delete